October’s PUMPKIN DICE LATTE Fitness Challenge
It’s time to Flourish with Fitness by taking the Pumpkin Dice Latte fitness challenge. In order to take this sweet challenge students, parents, teachers, and staff will need the following:
- Pumpkin – With the help of an adult, find a pumpkin you can safely lift off the ground and over your head. You should be able to hold the pumpkin with extended arms in front of you for at least 10 seconds.
- Dice – Go to your game closet to find a single dice.
- A desire to get fit!
Once a pumpkin has been selected, it’s time to get pumped using the pumpkin as a weight.
Check out this awesome video for a demonstration of each exercise!
Thank you Jedd Austin (@jeddaustin) for your incredible videography/editing talent. This video will, without a doubt, be a useful resource for everyone who takes the challenge.
- Spooky Squats – Hold your pumpkin by your chest. Slowly complete a squat. Remember to keep your shoulders back and push off your heels.
- Jack-o-Lantern Jacks – Complete jumping jacks holding the pumpkin over your head.
- Pumpkin Press – Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Push your pumpkin above your head then down to your chest for one repetition.
- Pumpkin Seed Sit-ups – Lie flat on your back holding the pumpkin on the ground with extended arms over your head. Lifting one leg, curl up and touch your toe with the pumpkin. Repeat this move while alternating legs.
- Boogedy Boogedy Burpees – Complete a burpee while holding your pumpkin with two hands.
- Frankenstein Kicks – Hold the pumpkin out in front of you with extended arms. Alternating legs, gently kick the pumpkin with your toes.
I spend the week prior to the challenge introducing the workout and practicing each of the exercises during PE class. This allows me to help students with form before setting them off to do the workout at home. I’ve incorporated rest days this year as well. Students need to know that giving your body a break is an important part of any workout regiment. At the end of the month, participants turn in their calendars. Anyone who completes ten days or more receives an award certificate with a two-inch gold sticker and a plastic shoe token.
For an editable copy of the October Flourish with Fitness Challenge, click Pumpkin Dice Latte.
For a copy of the Pumpkin Dice Latte certificate, click Dice Latte Certificate .
BTW – Don’t forget about the yummy pumpkin seeds when the challenge is over. They make a super, yummy, healthy snack. Click PUMPKIN SEED RECIPE for directions on how to roast them. I like to make several batches, each with a different seasoning. Here are a few of my favorites (season prior to roasting):
- Salt and Pepper
- Salt and Vinegar
- Ranch – Envelope Hidden Valley ranch seasoning
- Cheddar or Parmesan – use packets of powdered cheese from a macaroni and cheese box
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/justybubpe.
Check out my Facebook group called Keeping Kids in Motion!
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for over 100 useful games for physical education!